Pages

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Potato Soup

OK I know we might die of shock if he starts posting every day, that's just the risk I am going to have to take. :) Tonight the wife wanted something Autumn tasting so I started on a soup. Now I know that properly made potato soup should have bacon but I am out of bacon, so looking around I did have some hotdogs really good hotdogs made by an instate company called Falls Brand. If you can find them in your local store then these are some of the best dogs you can get. Tonight I used the all beef dogs but the basic wieners are just as good. I started with six small potatoes cut in a large dice, I then boiled them in salted water until tender. This was the point that I realized I had no bacon so I decided I would just use chicken soup base to give it a little rich flavor, once the potatoes were cooked I realized we were out of milk (one of the hazards of having a teenaged boy in the house) but I did have evaporated milk so I just went with the flow I smooshed the taters a little just a couple jabs with a potato masher, then I dumped in one can of evaporated milk, one bag of  frozen corn, and the chicken base I then filled the pot with about 2 quarts of water. I had prepared a roux earlier with a 1/4 cup of butter and 5 tablespoons....ish of flour and a little chopped onion I added the roux to the simmering pot. then I found the hotdogs SCORE I cut up 8 dogs into the pot and let it simmer for about 30 minutes and this is how it turned out.


Not to bad if I say so myself. :) Half the soup was eaten tonight the other half is for my wife's lunch. Next time I am going to have some good homemade bread for this soup.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for nice sharing. You can also find best Cast Iron material at Laxmi Iron & Steel Industry. The main object of LAXMI IRON & STEEL INDUSTRIES is to provide best quality and cost effective Cast Iron. For more information VisitCast iron suppliers

    ReplyDelete